Have you tried Cauliflower Rice yet? Don’t be scared! I know it sounds weird but it’s actually easy to make and tastes great.
I don’t shy away from carbs, but once in awhile I like to take a break from grains. Just eating vegetables and fruits for a few days resets my digestive system and gives me a boost of optimal nutrition.
A low-carb, whole foods, plant-based “rice.” Perfect as a side dish or with curries and stir fries.
- 1 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Food process the cauliflower in batches, pulsing into a cous-cous like consistency.
- In a large skillet, heat the onions and optional mustard seeds in water, covered, on medium-high for 10 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the cauliflower and salt, stirring. Reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook 3-5 minutes, until tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and serve warm.
At just 25 calories per 100g (compared with about 140 calories per 100g cooked white rice), this grain-free dish is everyone’s new favorite rice alternative.
My version is oil-free to boot! After all, if you’re going to eat healthy, do it right!
Friends, if you try this healthy recipe, let us know! Leave a comment it and tag a picture #veganrecipesforcompassion on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers!