If you’ve had hearts of palm, you maybe thought “this tastes exactly like crab!” Hearts of palm are the edible buds of palm trees and you can find them packed in water.
I made this recipe remembering my childhood trips to my Grandparent’s home in Maryland. We’d eat fresh crab at the shore, and though it’s been decades since then, this takes me right back! Turns out, we can let the little crabs be free. Hearts of palm lends the texture, and Old Bay Seasoning lends that classic flavor.
This easy recipe only requires 10 minutes of prep time, and the chickpeas give it enough protein to work as an appetizer or entree. In fact, we ate it last night for dinner and were happily satiated!
It’s oil-free and gluten-free too, so dig in!
Happy Crab Dip
A vegan crab dish that tastes like the Maryland shore!
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans whole hearts of palm, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed garnish, to taste:
- chopped parsley
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Food process everything except the chickpeas and hearts of palm, for 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas, blending until smooth for another minute.
- Add hearts of palm last, pulsing just a few times, mixing roughly.
- Pour mixture into an 8-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper or lightly sprayed with oil. Bake for 40 minutes on the top shelf, until golden brown.
- Garnish and serve warm with toasted pita bread, crackers, or my favorite – cabbage wraps!
Remember to Pin for later…
If you try this delicious dip, please let me know what you think! Leave a comment and tag a picture #veganrecipesforcompassion on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Enjoy!